Thursday, May 29, 2008

Let's Be Friends?

I think I've figured out why I don't really have any close close friends. I am secretly intimidated and scared by people's problems. My life is pretty even-keel, not much drama, not too many issues. So when my friends maybe want to talk about their deeper feelings, I draw back because I'm not really sure how to handle it. Do I offer advice? Just listen? Hug them? I end up feeling awkward. I really want to be someone's best friend who they share things with and with whom I can talk about deep feelings. But I end up just being the friend that is just there to hang out and have fun with. It happened in high school, and it's happening again in college. It always feels like a one-way street--I share, and the other person listens, and then goes on their merry way. Maybe I just don't realize that they're sharing their heart when they talk to me, but it sure doesn't usually feel that way.

Maybe I should not feel sorry for myself.

1 comment:

Sara said...

We are close friends!! *angry face*

... I think that usually when people open up, they are looking more for someone to listen than they are for someone to solve their problems. And it's always nice to hear someone else's take on the situation, even you disagree with their answers, so don't be afraid to bring your abbylicious perspective when people tell you their issues.

It took me until the middle of my sophomore year to find a solid group of friends, and even longer to settle in with the friends that I have now, so I know that it totally sucks, but just be patient and you will find people that you click with and you will just love them. And then on the weekends you'll come hang out with me at my awesome apartment. The end.