Sunday, June 29, 2008

That's kind of awkward

So I was over at my lovely friend Sara's page, which she recently redesigned, and in her side links to other people's blogs, there was me. And a little snippet of my previous post. And it was talking about my teeth. And I thought, Who would want to come visit my blog if it looked like I was just talking about gross body things. So that's why I'm updating.

I have recently rediscovered my rapturous love for Anne of Green Gables. I've watched the movies again and started reading the books. That series is among my favorite books ever. Ranks right up there with Little Women and The Melendy Family and All of a Kind Family. Anne, as a young girl, is someone I wish I could meet. Those books inspire me to write. I think maybe I'll live on PEI for a while at some point in time. (That's Prince Edward Island, for all you uneducated nonreaders out there).

My job is going fine. I thought I broke the yogurt machine the other day. I pulled the handle down and yogurt was winding happily into the cup when the handle just let go of the machine. I stood, rather confused, with the yogurt overflowing the cup and the handle in my hand, and yelled "Trrraacccyyy!" All the customers were watching with amused/slightly sympathetic looks on their faces. So Tracy came and fixed it (not without some bewilderment on her part though, in my defense).

And my life has settled down more of late, as far as emotions go. I'm okay now to be in my life (although I'd much rather be Anne Shirley and get Gilbert Blythe) and just doing what I'm doing. I think I was just going a little stir-crazy for a while.

Here's a little something wise from Anne of Avonlea. It reminds me of my position and what people have said to me:

(Mrs. Allan speaking to Anne)
"I hope you'll have a good time, Anne. You've worked very hard this past year and you have succeeded."
"Oh, I don't know. I've come so far short in so many things. I haven't done what I meant to do when I began to teach [in my case, went to school] last fall....I haven't lived up to my ideals."
"None of us ever do," said Mrs. Allan with a sigh. "But then, Anne, you know what Lowell says, 'Not failure but low aim is crime.' We must have ideals and try to live up to them, even if we never quite succeed. Life would be a sorry business without them. With them its grand and great. Hold fast to your ideals, Anne."
" I shall try. But I have let go of most of my theories," said Anne, laughing a little. "I had the most beautiful set of theories you ever knew when I started out as a schoolma'am [student], but every one has failed me at some pinch or another."

4 comments:

Sara said...

Haha... I inspired you to post. That's funny.

I think Eleanor did her dissertation on Anne of Green Gables (or at least has studied it a lot) so you should casually mention that the books/movies are among your favorites for brownie points next year :o)

Caleb said...

Don't tell anyone but I am a closet fan of AoGG myself. I like to watch all the movies at Christmas with Heather and Mom.

Lora said...

I love Anne of Green Gables. I always wanted to find my kindred spirit, just like Anne did. I'm still hoping its not too late.

Now I want to watch the movies and read the books.

Anonymous said...

i still can't get over that Anne talked for three pages straight [small print] in the first book.