Monday, January 26, 2009

Dear Mailbox,

So often, you are empty. I turn the dial just right and pull your little metal door open. I peek inside, my heart trembling in anticipation, and I am disappointed. The shiny cold chasm of your inside yawns open, affording only the view of other boxes full of letters and magazines. I even reach my hand in, running my fingers along the edges of you, hoping that I missed something. But no, you are always empty, sad, alone.

But not today. Today was a glorious day. When I opened you, a long white envelope was waiting. You seemed friendly and happy to be giving me such a rare gift. I drew out the envelope and opened it. And there, inside, lay a check! A check for more money than I expected! I don't know where it came from or why it even came at all, but thank you, Mailbox, for brightening my day.

1 comment:

Sara said...

Hey Abby, your last three letters have been to God, School, and a Mailbox. Maybe you'd get more letters if you wrote to...like... people? Who use pens and paper and envelopes to communicate? Just an idea.

Then again, maybe the check is in response to the letter to God. Or School is trying to patch things up. I should try this. "Dear Honda... I'd love it if you would just give me my car for free." (Fingers crossed!)