Friday, January 23, 2009

Dear School,

I'm not a big fan of you right now. I know, I know, I used to be so enamored with you. But that was before I was mature, before I had developed into a more well-rounded human being. You're really just a lot of work. Sometimes we really get along and I enjoy being with you, but lately you've been distant and out of touch. I go through the motions with you, but the joy and the fire is gone. And you are really expensive, too. I think we need some time apart, but everyone is pressuring us to stay together, so I guess I'll just have to make it through this rough patch. You really are the best fit for me and we are good for each other. But I have to warn you that we will be breaking up fairly soon. Just three more semesters and I'll be gone. So thanks for the memories, even if they weren't so great.

Fondly,
Abby

1 comment:

Sara said...

Dear Abby,

I hate to ruin the suspense, but one day in the not-so-distant future, you and school will part ways. It will be an amicable yet bittersweet break-up, involving funny hats, boring speeches, old Mennonites, and watered-down punch.

Less than 5 minutes later, you will enter into an arranged marriage with a shady partner known only as "Life." Life will give you some freedom only to strip it away and abuse you. It will tie you down using chains with funny names like "Bills" "Jobs" and "Responsibilities."

Sometimes you will begin to feel that you truly love Life, until you remember that no matter what you do, you will never be rid of him. As for School: young love has its difficulties, and maybe a short break would do you both some good... but don't forget to appreciate all that poor School does for you, take lots of pictures, and make memories so that you can struggle to relive them for years to come.

Sincerely,
The Bitter, Bitter Future. (Ominous music here.)